Monday, March 3, 2008

I Am Not Stalking You

I realize that I'm way behind on my blog. So here's a little catch-up.

Last Friday, Samantha and I piled cameras, tripods, a keyboard, a guitar, suitcases, CDs, cables, a PA system, bags of videotapes and so much more into my tiny compact car for a business trip to San Francisco.

When we arrived six hours later, we immediately jumped into work. For the TV show, we were covering Jonathan Coulton's (or JoCo's) sold-out show at the Great American Music Hall. This show was quite important to him, as a massive and well-paid camera crew was filming it for his upcoming DVD, and we were filming the filming. Samantha and I are both big fans, and were very excited.

It was interesting to meet his fans. I wasn't surprised at all that they were all nerds, as his music is total geek-rock (and I mean this in the nicest way). However, Samantha and I were both very surprised that they were all rude. Not sure if it was a San Francisco thing, or a nerds-who-have-never-seen-sunlight-and-have-no-social-skills thing, but every single one that spoke to us was shockingly unkind.

Despite all the angry dorks (or maybe because of, who knows?), Jonathan put on a fantastic show, filled with references to robots, zombies, monsters and concluding with the announcement-masquerading-as-spectacle, where Jonathan and various popular bloggers played his song from Portal, "Still Alive" in Rock Band (surprise, everyone!). The collective geeksplosion of brain matter was sort of gross. But fun.

(A fan gave him this creepy doll, which they created, based on his song, "Creepy Doll." How nice...and obsessive.)

The whole night helped me realize that although I am a geek, there are perhaps levels of geekiness, and those people are on some crazy "we-go-to-Comic-Con-dressed-as-Joss-Whedon" level.

After the show, we headed backstage for an interview with Jonathan. At this point, I should mention that Samantha told JoCo in her previous interview with him (which you can now hear at smtvmusic.com) that I am a huge fan. I was not present for this. She went further, saying that I'm basically stalking him. She has continued to joke that I am in love with him every time she's talked to him in the months since then. She even put the horribly embarrassing picture from this previous entry on her Flickr page. He's a little freaked out, I'm guessing.

For the record, I like his music. That's pretty much it. I don't want him to do my dishes or wash my laundry or clean my toilets. I just want to listen to "Still Alive" every now and then.

That said, Jonathan seemed downright afraid of me from the word go. This made us both completely uncomfortable. But we did our best to create a little video content...

...that I probably won't be able to use. I'm scheduled to edit this footage tomorrow, and I'm honestly dreading even looking at it. Surely, I look like a complete idiot. Either way, you'll be able to see for yourself when it airs later this month. [Sarcasm activated] I can hardly wait. [Sarcasm deactivated].

Wow, I really am a geek.

Digg this

4 comments:

  1. Hilariously, I was listening to This Week in Tech this morning where Jonathan Coulton talked about that show and the Rock Band thing and all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha sounds like you had a little fun there. too bad all the people were rude, but I'm sure it was the complete opposite at the Hannah Montana tour lol well besides for the people trying to find you all at your hotel rooms lol but I read your "what am i doing" thing and I saw that Miley Cyrus skit on SNL and I thought it was kind of funny. but I don't think Miley acts that crazy on interviews but other times I think thats how she acts. lol
    Are you still going to be doing the Houston Rodeo with her on March 9?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a triumph.....
    I'm making a note here,HUGE SUCCESS...
    Its hard to overstate my satisfaction...

    Jonathan Coulton does some nice work, love his songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. There's nothing wrong with being a geek/nerd. I hate the rude ones though, they're just like "I'm smarter than you so I'm not going to talk to you, cracker!" which isn't nice. At all.

    Jonathan Coulton=One of my many, many heroes.

    ReplyDelete